Wednesday 11 July 2012

Torrent (River of Time #3)



Torrent (River of Time #3) by Lisa T. Bergren

Rating: 4 stars


*Warning* If you haven't read the previous books in the series and want to read them, this review may have the possibility of ruining some parts of the previous stories for you.

Torrent was a very nice finish to the River of time series, I really enjoyed rejoining the journey through Medieval Italy with Gabi and Lia.

Throughout this series, I had learnt many new things, including the history (well, at least part of it) of medieval Italy, the language people spoke, what they dressed like and their political views etc. I loved the fact that at the end of the day when I finished reading a book or a series, I felt a little bit wiser than when I started. It was quite a meaningful book (as were the first two books in the series), I liked the depictions of the characters and settings. The author always made sure the readers could imagine the scene (sets the scene well) and also what the characters were like. I felt many emotions of the characters, not just the central characters (even though it is written in first person perspective). 

Love was a very strong theme in this book, the strength of love was a continuous subject of the book. Faith was also a very, very strong point made by the author. After reading this, I had a better/new understanding of the Christian faith in medieval times and also in reality. Even though God wasn't a 'real' character in the book, you could always feel His presence between the lines and the strong faith people held on to. I felt the passion of the main characters in the book and the Faith they had in their believes.

Strangely, my favourite character was not the main male character Marcello (though he is a very likable character) or Gabi, the main girl, not even her sister Lia (they were both very brave). But it was Luca. He was adorable and super funny! He was Marcello's second. Having him in the book lightened up the dreary times and made the good times better. If I were one of the sisters who went back in time, I would probably have fallen in love with him like Lia :D

The reason I gave this a 4 star is that, comparing to the other two books in the series, it was just a little under my expectation. It sometimes could be a little overdone in the lovy-davy tone (too much love and faith can be a little annoying sometimes, especially on the forever-love etc. topic), but it was very romantic. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this series, Torrent finished it off nicely and I fell in love with ancient Italy too! XD

By the way, this book actually inspired my speech topic for this year's English assessment along with the first book in the series Waterfall. XP 


Synopsis from Goodreads


When Gabi and Lia finally learn to surf the river of time, they realize they must make hard choices about life and love in the third and final book in the River of Time series.

Gabi and Lia Betarrini have learned to control their time travel, and they return from medieval Italy to save their father from his tragic death in modern times.

But love calls across the centuries, and the girls are determined to return forever—even though they know the Black Plague is advancing across Europe, claiming the lives of one-third of the population. In the suspenseful conclusion of the River of Time series, every decision is about life … and death. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great review and it's good to know you learnt so many new things! Brilliant blog design :)
    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, I'm glad you liked it! I love art, history and architecture, so it was really nice learning more from the book. Haha, thanks!!

      Delete
  2. I loved this series! I saw that you wrote Torrent was the last of the series, so do you know that two novellas were written after, Bourne and Tributary? Also, Lisa T. Bergren is currently writing the next full length novel in the series, Deluge.

    Thank you so much for the review, and I hope you like the other books if you decide to read them.

    Best Wishes,
    Lindsey V.

    ReplyDelete