Tuesday 9 October 2012

Author Interview with Jodi Meadows

Today I'm welcoming Jodi Meadows, author of the Newsoul trilogy starting with Incarnate (Newsoul #1) to my blog. This book was beautifully written and I loved every moment of reading it. It was very original and I would recommend it to everyone. Check out my short review for Incarnate here. The second book in this trilogy Asunder will be out in January next year. Can't wait to read more about Ana and Sam! Thank you Jodi for gracing my blog today with your presence and let's get on to the interview! 


Jodi Meadows lives and writes in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, with her husband, a Kippy*, and an alarming number of ferrets. She is a confessed book addict, and has wanted to be a writer ever since she decided against becoming an astronaut.
*A Kippy is a cat.









1. How did you come up with the idea to write Incarnate?

First, I had to make a journey across the Pacific Ocean in a kayak. About halfway to Hawaii, a mermaid jumped over the boat and when the water splashed on me, I got the very first glimmers of the idea behind Incarnate. By Hawaii, I had the worldbuilding, and by Japan, I knew how the entire series would end. Thanks, Pacific Ocean Mermaids!

(This answer may be a lie.)

2. Does Ana or any of the characters in Incarnate resemble/reflect you in anyway? If so, how?

Ana is a pretty good reflection for anyone who's ever felt new, out of place, or bullied. She's the ultimate new girl. She constantly feels like she's behind, like she needs to catch up. 

More personally, Ana's insecurities about things she loves (like music) are pretty similar to my own insecurities. She needs to be good at music, even if it's her first try. That was pretty close to my first music lessons, too. (Though she starts off much better at piano than I did flute. One of the benefits of being made of fiction.)

3. What is your favourite time of the day to write and why?

Midnight. Or 2am. It's dark and quiet. It just feels peaceful. Sadly, I'm attempting to adopt a normal schedule, which means being asleep at those times. 

4. If there’s one place in the world you could choose to live in, where would it be and why?

Right where I am. I live in one of the prettiest places in the whole world, the Shenandoah Valley. It's not perfect, but no place is. The Valley is home to me, though.

5. What is your all-time favourite movie and why?

Hard question! I'm really terrible about picking favorites. Here are some movies I've loved lately: THE AVENGERS, THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY (all the recent Nolan Batman movies), THE HUNGER GAMES, um . . . suddenly drawing blanks. 

6. What is your favourite snack in between working hard on your books?

Cookies!!! But I can eat cookies while I'm working on a book, too. (I am attempting to be healthier and like apples the most, but alas. Cookies still win my heart.)

7. What do you think is important for a Young Adult book?

It's important for YA books to reach their audiences, both physically (like, getting books to the readers, not anything creepy) and emotionally. Teachers, librarians, and booksellers are some of the most important people for putting books in young adults' hands, but even if teenagers read the books, the stories still have to resonate with them. The stories still have to mean something.

8. If you were given the chance to be a supernatural being, what would you be?

A unicorn. But a shapeshifting unicorn, because it's hard to type with just the point of one's horn. Keyboards are delicate.

9. If one character can come to live from any book, who would you choose and why? (what book is he/she from?)

Hmm. That's tricky. Get a character before they have their Epic YA Journey and they don't have a chance for all that great character growth that makes them so wonderful to read about. And get them after and you kind of screw them out of their happy ending. I think I'd rather leave characters where they are and maybe visit them sometimes.

10. What is the most surprising thing you’ve learnt from writing this series?

That my publisher prefers "good-bye" to "goodbye," which is what I'd used before my copyeditor came around. 

Hah. Kidding. I don't know. There are surprises everywhere, but I'm not sure what is the most surprising thing I've learned. 

Thank you so much Jodi for the interview and I'm sure everyone loved reading your creative answers to some of the questions! :D Have fun writing the next book in the trilogy while I am here counting down to when Asunder will be released! It's a beautiful cover by the way! 

Aren't they pretty?? 



No comments:

Post a Comment