Friday 27 July 2012

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)



Dreamless (Starcrossed #2) by Josephine Angelini

Rating: 3.5 stars


I was terrified to read this book. I even put it down for once after reading the prologue and waited for three weeks before I had to read it again because it was due in the next week at the library. Partly of why I put it down was because I couldn't remember the story from book 1 too well as it had been so long! But another part of why is something that always happens to me before I pick up the second book in series which the first book had truly impressed me. If I love a book which is the first in the series, I usually found that it's rather hard for the second book to step up, instead they usually ruin it a little. I truly loved Starcrossed (I will put the synopsis and cover at the end of this review for those who have not read it). I'm vastly interested in Greek mythology and other myths, Starcrossed and Dreamless were the author's completely original take on these Greek myths and characters, and I loved it. Every new take held something new from the author yet some parts of the original tales. Starcrossed was not only beautifully written, it had a wonderfully spun storyline and 'real' characters. I liked everything about it except the ending. The ending was a bitter disappointment as well as a shocking cliffhanger. I really hated that and it pulled the book down for me. I was dreading a little of how Dreamless will start.


It started alright, and I gradually got absorbed back into the story and the Greek background. But before I go on to talk about its writing style, character or storyline, there's one thing I found really unforgivable about this book. Why did the author put in a love triangle here?! What on earth were you thinking?! I hate love triangles! Did I mention how much I hate love triangles? Not all love triangles, but just the ones that aren't there for a good reason or not necessary at all, plus badly written.  So many recent YA books have involved a love triangle somewhere, and most of them didn't even need to be there in the first place! Same situation here, I just felt like Josephine Angelini threw in a love triangle because it was the "cool thing" to do and it would drag out the story a bit more. While I liked the introduction of a new lovable character, I didn't appreciate the role he had in this book. Maybe I am biased towards Lucas and Helen's relationship, but I really didn't connect with the other new relationship in this book. 


Lucas, oh Lucas. I've always had a soft spot for Lucas out of the YA novels, but I had no love for what the author turned Lucas into in this book. I want the old Lucas back! I have mentioned before that I really didn't like the typical YA relationships where a guy meets a girl and they are perfect for each other, but then something happens and the guy (usually) finds out he's "not good for her" and trys to push the girl away, even by being hateful to her. I mean, how could you do that to someone you love? You can't just say "I love you" one day and then completely turn a raging monster towards the person you love the next day! If there is a problem between the two of you, explain it and talk it out! Figure out a solution together if you are really in love. There is something called communication, and I just felt the author completely ignore that between Lucas and Helen in this book. Some of the things that happened in the book didn't even seem reasonable and that really took the meaning of the story away for me. You can't have something which totally didn't match with something in the previous book. 


Dreamless picked up right after Starcrossed, it continued life of the Demi-gods of the Delos Clan and Helen after Helen's mother Daphne drop a bomb shell about Helen and Lucas. It took me a while to get back into the story, I kept feeling unsure about where the story will go and if it would bring something of a sparkle in the Greek tales. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed, I kept waiting for it to get better, though it did pick up some where past the half-way mark, it just didn't do it for me. The plot was predictable and didn't have the "wow" factor I associated with Starcrossed. I got bored at a few places and was annoyed at a lot of the character's actions. My friend and I were reading this book together, and she started it a bit earlier than me so when I got frustrated with the storyline I kept asking her whether it gets better or not, and it seemed like we had similar opinions regarding this book. To sum up, it did get better, but not good enough.


As the main character, Helen seemed too weak for me here. Gone was the fierce, strong and powerful descendent of Scions, Helen turned damsel in distress overnight. Yes, she was still determined, but that came across as empty determination for me. Without Lucas, she had no center, and that was why I really want their relationship to just get back to normal. Lucas was good for Helen and vice versa, without Lucas, Helen was a pathetic mess. However her friends care for her, she just didn't seem to be able to hold herself together. 


I really liked Orion in this book. Even though I really didn't want to like him (more like determined not to like him), but he was just too likable. If there was a best friend I could have, I would like to have a friend like him too. He was caring and sweet, honest and open. But I have a feeling something is going to change in the next book...


I liked the mention and meeting of some of the Gods and other characters in the original Greek mythologies. In Angelini's story, some of them seemed so different from how I viewed them. I loved the variety of character from the new characters. 


The writing was entertaining and nice, but no more than that. I didn't really connect with most of the characters through the author's writing this time, and that was another regretful disappointment for me. I could only feel some of the emotions that came out, but mostly it was the heavy emotions such as dread, fear and hurt. That was why this book felt so heavy for me and I really needed to take a break from it with something lighter and happier after reading it. 


Overall, it was a disappointing second instalment of the series, however it still contained my interest and I made it to the end. I myself, have a perfect ending for this story, but I really don't know where and how the author will take it next. But I hope Lucas and Helen will be together again and that Daphne will be telling the truth soon instead of what I was feeling like one lie after another lie. 


Synopsis from Goodreads


Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.
Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling "Starcrossed" delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.

Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1)

 Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention. 

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Angela! Good and honest review! Really enjoyable to read! I'd love it if you could check out my blog/online book! The link is http://17hnak.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haley! Glad you liked my review. I'm already a follower of your blog, and your story is really nice, keep writing, I haven't read the last couple of chapters yet, will do when I have time :)

      Delete
  2. Honest review. I loved Dreamless, but I definitely understand what you mean about the love triangle. Made for a frustrating read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless! :) Great review, though

    ReplyDelete