Friday 4 January 2013

Best of 2012

Well, another year is over and it's 2013 already! Sorry I wasn't able to post anything at the end of December, but the holiday is time to enjoy myself aye? :D Looking back at this year, I've read tons of books and more than a few good ones. To finish the year off and to welcome the new year, I'll share with you the top ten books from the books-I-loved list of my reads in 2012 and why I liked them. Are you ready? Here we go!


1.Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga #4) by Colleen Houck


This book is probably my favourite of 2012. Well, it's a tough call between the top four anyway. Tiger's Destiny is a well thought out, heart-breaking AND heart-warming end to Kelsey, Ren and Kishan's journey to breaking the Tiger's Curse. In this novel, not only Colleen Houck's writing was amazing, the words precisely chosen and tingles the imaginations, but the plot and characters were also at their best. The twists and turns and the wild emotions will keep you reeling well after the last page.



2. Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by Robin LaFevers


I got this book from a giveaway and I'm forever happy that I had chosen Grave Mercy instead of all the other books I thought I might have liked. It was a risk (yea, I don't like owning books I didn't enjoy) but I'm so glad I chose to buy it before I read it. Grave Mercy is a wonderfully written "old-style" book that has assassins through and through. I'm a sucker for the old-style traveling (horseback and waggens etc.), weaponery like daggers and arrows and the feeling of the less modern times. Grave Mercy was beautifully written with characters and relationships I would root for. Loyalty, love and intelligence were all tested and shown in the pages of this book. May the nine saints forever look after Duval and Ismae! :D



3. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo


Shadow and Bone is another epic debut. I'm sorry to repeat again and hope I'm not getting boring, but I'm very partial to the old-style world and Shadow and Bone is another excellent example of such a book. What I treasured the most was the unbreakable friendship between the main characters in this book. I also liked the way details were described and the innovative idea of Grishas. It's a book in contrast: some pages would leave you chilled to the bone yet others would warm your heart and soul. You will lose yourself in this eerie world created by Bardugo.



4. Partials (Partials #1) by Dan Wells


I thoroughly enjoyed Partials. It's without a doubt my favourite science-fiction of the year, maybe even of all time. The best part about the book for me, apart from the cool sci-fi medical details and the hooking plot, is how independent the main character Kira Walker is. She didn't need to rely on guys to make decisions or protection. She is a force all on her own. I can't wait to read Fragments (Partials #2) and find out what happens to Kira and co.



5. Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Oh, what can I say about Jennifer L. Armentrout's books? Her plots always pull me right in and her writing always leave me breathless for more. Onyx is entirely amazing and one of the best books written by JLA. It's a book that changed relationships and my prejudice on certain character(s). I didn't love Obsidian, the first book, and I sure didn't love Daemon then. But in this book, JLA made me fall in love with both the series and Daemon. If you are looking for hot aliens and a good paranormal fantasy/contemporary, the Lux series is definitely the way to go.



6. Stormdancer (The Lotus War #1) by Jay Kristoff


Stormdancer had the most beautiful and flowing language I have ever read in a YA book. Jay Kristoff breathes life into this story with a Japanese backdrop. I loved the rich culture and values in this book. As well as the loveable beast and the determined main character. How will the Lotus War continue? Can't wait to find out in the next book!



7. Deity (Covenant #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Again, another book by JLA. What can I say? I'm just in love with her books. While series by other authors may become more and more boring, less and less well-written, JLA's series just keep getting better. Deity, comparing to the first book Half-Blood, is worlds apart. Don't get me wrong, I love the first book too, but this one is just even better! You truly see the strength and power in Aiden and Alex's love for each other. If you are not team Aiden, this book will change your mind. And about that cliffhanger? Jen, you are definitely evil!



8. The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater


The Raven Boys came to me as a bit of a surprise. I didn't expect it to be so good and I didn't expect to be so drawn by the story. It is a very different sort of YA book. Told from various perspectives (all in third-person), this book made me experience the inner feelings of several totally different types of people. With a mythical setting and paranormal abilities, this novel will keep you reading till the very end.



9. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson


Peter Pan has always been my favourite fairytale and this retelling of it is so stunning that I loved it as much as the original story. Told from Tiger Lily's perspective, we see a side to the story that we perhaps would have never thought of. It's simply written yet with such an eye for detail that I have noticed more of Neverland than I ever had. I loved the characters, especially Tinkerbell. She is not what you see in Peter Pan and I'd love to have a friend like this little fairy. It's a heart-breaking story that will intrigue the reader and mayhap make you feel older and wiser at the end.



10. Bitterblue (Graceling Realm #3) by Kristin Cashore


Right from Graceling, Kristin Cashore has established her place as one of my favourite writers. Bitterblue continues the story of Graceling but in Bitterblue's eye. Just merely returning to this beloved story world was enough to make me love this book. Ok, maybe not, but Cashore once again utilises her writing skills to spin a tale of fantasy and adventure. Old and new characters alike, are vivid and enticing. This book has a lot more political content in it. Also, I greatly enjoyed learning how to write in code ;D Really, there isn't much else to say, except that if you have read Graceling and Fire, definitely don't miss out on this one!


Alright, so that was my top ten, what are your favourites of 2012???

No comments:

Post a Comment