Tuesday 30 October 2012

Enticed and Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters #2 & #3)

Sorry for the recently neglection of my blog, my right now exams are a bit too much and I really don't have time to write new reviews... (yea, I have time to read, but writing reviews require much more time, and I already have a million essays to write *sigh*). I promise I will get right back into it after exams. So, when I was sorting out all the books I've read this year, I came across two reviews of The Violet Eden Chapters series by Jessica Shirvington which I haven't put on here yet. As I'm going to be reading Endless (#4) soon just to see what happens (I didn't really enjoy this series that much), I thought I'll just put what I thought of book 2 and 3 up here. They are both quite short reviews and mainly my thoughts after reading them, so I compiled them XD These were written quite a while ago, so I apologise if they don't sound as well-written as my other reviews. Yea, that's all for now. See you very soon!


Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters #2) by Jessica Shirvington


Rating: 3 stars

Ok... what can say about this book? Firstly, let me clarify the rating, Before I got to the half-way point or a little behind that, I was totally disappointed with this book. At the time, I would have given it at the most a 2 star. But then it got a lot better in the latter half and I really enjoyed some parts, so the rating rose to about 3.5 stars. So if you even it up a little, it should be between 3 stars :P

Even though I liked this story, I'm still going to say that it disappointed me quite a bit.Embrace left me hanging so I had expectations for Enticed. The first part was dragged out, painful, not too well exercuted and a little boring. At one point, the characters all seemed very dull. 
But then the new character got interesting, I have to say I really liked Spence :D And then the book picked up its pace. The climax was well-writtened but some places could be a little confusing.

Some people said that this would be a good book for people who like Lincoln (And yes I like Lincoln better than Phoenix, at least so far I like him better), I would disagree then agree. It wasn't a really one-sided book, but I'll give it that much. It doesn't protray Phoenix in a too-positive light. And I totally hated Magda the character (I just don't like her). 
The writing was average, if not worse than average. I didn't seem to connect with the characters in this book. And the emotions and characters seemed rather flat. The plot was kind of predictable and unnecessary at times.  If the writing could improve a lot more, the story line more connected, it would have a better rating. Still, I'm interested in reading the next book, I hope it won't disappoint. 


Synopsis

CONSEQUENCE HAUNTS EVERY CHOICE

Violet Eden is Grigori - part angel, part human. Her destiny is to protect humans from the vengence of exiled angels.
Knowing who to trust is key but, when Grigori reinforcements arrive, it becomes clear everyone is hiding something. Even Lincoln. The only thing Violet does know: Phoenix's hold over her is more dangerous than ever.
The race to find the one thing that could tilt the balance of power brings them all to the sacred mountains of Jordan, where Violet's power will be pushed to the extreme. And the ultimate betrayal exposed.

Enticed (now retitled ENTICE) is the second compelling book in The Violet Eden Chapters.

ENTICE will be available in the US from September, 2012!


Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters #3) by Jessica Shirvington


Rating: 3.5 stars

It was an alright third installment to the series, but I only finished reading it because I was  curious about what is going to happen, but I guess that was also in some ways a success? Humm... I really liked the first book, but then it got a lot worse in the 2nd, and 3rd only picked up a little bit, but still it seemed to get better again, so I'm still curious about the 4th book. In the 2nd book and most of the 3rd book, the characters were quite flat. The author really did try to make them come alive, but without much success. I hope it will pick up a lot more in the last book of the series and give me a well-rounded ending to the series. Still, I liked the first book too much to give it a low rating. There were still pluses for the story line in this book, it was quite unexpected, I'd give it that much :) Oh, and also my favourite character in this book was Jase, oh, he was so funny! I really liked him, his lines were my favourite lines of the book :D
I really hope it'll all end well for Violet and Lincoln, and maybe even Pheonix. I'm not sure what to expect of Book 4, but I have a feeling it's not going to work out very well. 

Quite a while later:
I heard that Shirvington is planning on writing more than 4 books for this series (which was initially the limit). While some of my friends are rejoicing this fact, I'm more on the lamenting side. I really didn't want to see the story getting dragged out even more. Depending on Book 4, I may or may not give up. That' just the thing about cliffhangers...

Synopsis

Once again Violet Eden faces an impossible choice ... and the consequences are unimaginable. 

Violet has come to terms with the fact that being part angel, part human, means her life will never be as it was.

Now Violet has something Phoenix - the exiled angel who betrayed her - will do anything for, and she has no intention of letting it fall into his hands. The only problem is that he has something she needs too. 

Not afraid to raise the stakes, Phoenix seemingly holds all the power, always one step ahead. And when he puts the final pieces of the prophecy together, it doesn't take him long to realise exactly who he needs in order to open the gates of Hell.

With the help of surprising new allies, ancient prophecies are deciphered, a destination set and, after a shattering confrontation with her father, Violet leaves for the islands of Greece without knowing if she will have a home to return to... 

No comments:

Post a Comment