Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2)


The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross


Rating: 4.5 stars


Having read so many disappointing second books in series recently, I really hoped that The Girl in the Clockwork Collar would not be categorized into that particular category once I was finished. Sequels are sometimes that hardest to write as they have to live up to the previous book as well as pave way for the next one (if it’s a trilogy). And to my complete pleasure, this book did not disappoint! It is officially my favourite sequel (if not out of all sequels, it would at least be my favourite sequel of the year). I liked it as much as I did The Girl in the Steel Corset, maybe even better than that previous book. And there are several reasons as to why I loved it.

Victorian time settings had always intrigued me more than most, I loved the different style and the older language and background that set off the stories. It is in the past yet not too far away. Authors who have a thought in mind to write a good Victorian setting book have the opportunity to find out exactly how people dressed and talked during that time through their research. I loved the difference in language and formalities between then and now. One of the things I missed in some other settings really is, as cliché as it sounds, the chivalry (especially in guys). It’s not too far back in history that we can still fathom what it had been like and obtain mostly accurate details. I liked the fact that this book had set one foot into history while the other was lodged into imagination and creativity.

Steampunk is a strange genre, it merges the old with the new. It’s hard to imagine having highly developed technology in the olden days such as the Victorian era, but that’s just what the genre intended. I loved the abstract and originality of books from this particular genre (most of the time, if they are well-written and original, with excellent research beforehand). In the first book, we have already seem what kind of technology Griffin, Finley and their ‘gang’ could be up to, which included supernatural powers, clockwork automatons, little organisms that can immediately heal whatever physical and internal injuries anyone sustained, advance machines and metal limbs etc. This continued in the second book, but with more technical knowledge and relation to the Anther.

In this book, Griffin and Finley, along with the ‘gang’, travelled to New York with the aim to save their friend Jasper from the clutches some supposed bounty hunter for a murder he may or may not have committed. The setting in this book contrasted with the previous book as it was set in America this time, not London. I learnt some new things as well as old etiquettes from reading this.

There were a lot of action and we see that Finley matures as a character. She was less impulsive and more in control of her personality. She was real intelligent and brave here. I really liked Finley in this book. She was strong and fast, as well as loyal to people she considered friends.

Finley and Griffin’s relationship bloomed in this book. But I actually got exceedingly annoyed at the progress of their romance. It changed quite a lot and sometime it was hard to get a grasp on, as well as quite slow. Every time they came close to something they got interrupted. But whether or not they got their moment, you’ll have to read to find out.

Mei was a new character introduced in this book. As soon as I met her I disliked her. She seemed so pretentious. When with Jasper she acted weak and timid, as well as loving. But when with Finley or some others, she was vicious and unfriendly, as well as violent. I felt that there was something off about her. And no kidding, about half-way through the book, I really wanted her to die.

The plot was fast paced and entertaining, complete with exhilarating actions and head-strong characters. I really liked Griffin, Finley, Emily and Sam in this book. And Jasper was adorable. The only regret I had was that Jack Dandy didn’t really come into the story. The writing was as always, consistent and fluently. It was too descriptive but was comfortable to read. I thought maybe at some places it could’ve been a little more detailed.

Overall, it was an awesome read. I finished it as soon as I can and love it from beginning to the end. To top it off, it’s a book I very much want to own :) If you haven't read this series, I would recommend it!

Synopsis

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. 

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. 

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

3 comments:

  1. Hehe I loved this book...such a great series! The twist was awesome, but it wasn't unexpected...

    Were you surprised with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I loved this series too!!! Really? I kind of found it was a little unexpected, except the part about Mei, I didn't like her at all anyway. :P I was surprised at quite a bit of twists and turns though and I love the plot. Jasper was adorable XD

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way about Finley's romance with Griffin! I really wanted to reach in the book, pull them both by their ears, lock them in a room and tell they need to talk about their arraction to each other! I, too, loved this book! As soon as I was done with Steel Corset I hesitated bc they were going to America. Don't worry! The hesitation lasted for exactly 3 seconds. :) They only other thing is the lack of Jack! :( Though I am pro Finely X Griffin, I love Jack! Oh well. I can't for the 3rd book to come out this May! :D Have you seen the cover? It's just as gorgeous as the last two! XD I love the covers to this series!
    Samantha Deen

    ReplyDelete